Friday 25 December 2009

www.Lulu.com

Self publishing? It's a great way to get a book into print, although one has to be responsible for ALL of the book, not just the words, which means getting to grips with formatting: page numbers, headers, chapter titles being on the right side, etc. God bless the Internet for helping me find the info I needed, but it was an arduous learning curve and one which required of me much patience. Writing the book is a task in itself. Having to do the structure to hold the words was also a task in itself.

So Lulu is my route for self publishing, only because it was suggested to me ages ago when I was oblivious to there being such a thing as self publishing. 

And here is what I had to do:
1) Write the book. I did it in Word.

2) Set up an account with Lulu, which is free. So far, having got one book completed as far as it can go for the moment, all I have had to pay out for is for the three copies I bought during the process of re-edits and the ISBN number which you have to have if you are going to sell publically through such sites as Amazon. 
3) Upload the book. Lulu then obligingly converts it almost immediately to something called Pdf format. With a click of a button Lulu then downloads the book the Pdf formatted book via email, again almost immediately. (You have to have Pdf facilities on your PC). Then you save it into your files.

4) Now the task of re-reading. I open the Pdf file of the book and the Word file. I read the Pdf file, checking for writing and formatting errors. When I find an error, I open the Word file and make the alteration immediately. 
5) Once I have altered the Word file copy of the book, I go back into Lulu and into my account. I delete the first upload, and upload the newly edited Word file of the book. Then 3 and 4 go round again. And again. But the errors become smaller as I go along, and actually are harder to pick up, and by this time I am finding the whole process tedious. So: time to let the book rest for a few weeks so it can eventually be tackled with a fresh mind again.
6) By the way, I put two files in the Lulu account: one carrying the front pages, which is the title, index, and other info pages. The second is the actual book itself. You could upload separate chapters as you go, but I think this is unwieldy, especially if you have loads of chapters. 
7) So I get to the stage when I can go no further with the edits. So onto the book cover. I do this myself, and Lulu have a good book cover formatting section so you can do this. I think that having someone else to do the cover would be a good thing, but cost is an issue at the moment so I have to do the cover myself.
8) Then onto the next stage of costings, synopsis, etc. 
9) All done! Now I have to purchase the book to have a look at it in its printed form. If you were fast tracking you could get your book, once written, actually into book form and held in your hands within two weeks depending on the speed of the post. But I think that is too fast. Taking time with each stage, and I took nearly a whole year because I was sidetracked away for several months during the re-reading stages plus I was a novice at self publishing, means that the book is likely to be of a better standard.
10) And that, briefly, is all that you have to do! 


So: My Psychic Toolbox: Uploaded the two files yesterday, download has come back, which I have saved, and now onto the re-reading. 


And: Psychic Virgin: My last copy for re-editing has just arrived, but I know that the book is done. So onto Lulu to verify that I was happy with the book, clicked a button, and off into the world it now goes. 6-8 weeks apparently to get onto Amazon, but it is useless to get impatient with the process. Best to get on with other projects meanwhile. Will have to look at how to get it noticed on Amazon, so God bless the Internet again for that info. Also going into ebook format, which is the way to go for books I think, mostly because it reduces the cost for people. So another project is looking at the ebook world of formatting. 


Today I blessed my first offspring, and I thought of it trundling its way through the electronic networks, and it felt like it was leaving home. Like any parent with a grown child, I let it go. I had given birth to it, nurtured it, looked after it, watched it grow and take shape into its young adult form. Now it is time to let it take its place in the world to do whatever it is meant to do. And the odd thing is that if feels like it is its own self, as if it has its own life!

Wow! 








6 comments:

  1. The only self-published book I've ever seen was from the Japanese family who used to live next door to the house I grew up in. The father of the family published a book (in Japanese) on - of all things - William the Conqueror. He then duly sent us a copy when they went back to Japan.We didn't read it.

    I suppose it must give one a good feeling seeing one's name on the spine of a book but I don't think I would want to go down the self-publishing route. I'd rather be the manuscript that Random House and Penguin were fighting over (in my dreams)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason why I couldn't go the professional publisher route was because of the subject material. Books in this genre are all typically the same, but mine is different. Also, I refused to go the publicity route when working in the UK believing that the books should stand in their own light and not be a tag on to to the public face I would have achieved. Again, in my genre, the professional publishers would not have been interested unless I was a psychic celeb. I don't want to be this.
    What I have been doing is building a raft for my writing, hence the website which has over 200 pages, the blogs which I enjoy enormously and keep me writing when I am stuck with the other work, and building a series of books to support my work, which are being self published.
    I have no doubt that in time a publisher will pick up one of the books, and perhaps Psychic Virgin will be accepted. But as the first, at this time, it is useless to even try to get it accepted.
    Good luck with your writing, and hope your Open University writing course is productive for you. Happy writing for 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating time-tale, Vera. All that made sense to me from a technical viewpoint. I will go into Lulu later today and see what you were talking about for myself.

    As with many things, I think it important that I start off small and challenge myself in stages. I have written 3 posts for my blog for the next three days and they have a different style from my usual post. I have given myself a limit of 150 words, no more no less, being in 3 paragraphs. I would value your opinion. Not on what I say so much, as the manner in which I say it.

    Kind regards to you and health and happiness for you and yours into 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will make sure I read those three blogs, Julie, and will give you what feedback I can. I am glad you are going onto Lulu to have a look. After all, it might inspire you to try the self publishing route as well, or else you will decide that it is too much for you! Wishing you many happy hours of creativity. I love your photos, and the way in which you craft the words to go alongside them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vera, lovely of you to drop by my blog and leave me a greeting. I've often wondered who the anonymous visitors from Europe and North America might be. I see the dots on my 'visitor map' and think "How on earth did they come by me? Maybe an accident?" "Maybe fate?"
    I have to admit that I'm a sceptic when it comes to psychic stuff, much as you were in Ch 3 of your book - but I love the way you write. So much energy and fun and cheek. I'll book mark you and follow your progress.
    On self publishing. I began blogging with an attitude that my blog was a form of self publishing in itself. I'm thinking of testing the waters in a more formal way over the next year.
    Thanks also for the links. You've guided me towards some interesting sites - even, ironically, back to my home town and suburb in Brisbane via the Sydney Eye and daily photography network.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, LH. I like to know who is reading my blogs as well, although just to know that at least they are being read is satisfying enough. But I do try and leave comments if I can, although need to feel 'connected' to do so.
    I am the same about blogging: The other blogs I write are going to go onto their own website eventually, and they are a diary about how we are learning a completely new way of life. This blog, the writing one, is to share with people like you my own experiences of self publishing so that it might help others to do the same. I think encouragement is a critical necessity for erstwhile authors! It is, after all, a long, long, pathway and it does help to know others are travelling the same path.
    Will keep an eye on your blog, and I do so hope that 2010 will be a successful year for you. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by, and I would love you leave me a message.