Wednesday 13 January 2010

Amazon's got it!

The title of this post was going to be 'A Brick Wall', the theme being that I was bang up against a wall and couldn't seem to find a doorway through. After having finished the read-through of My Psychic Toolbox, then the wall banged up infront of me. Effort seemed to have expired. 


And then it came into my head to investigate batteries. Why? Because my new camera gobbles up batteries so Internet search to find out why this is. I need the camera for certain aspects of my work, and also for my other blogs. 


Through a round about route I fetched up on Amazon. And a thought: would Psychic Virgin be posted up yet? But since other people I have read about complain that Amazon take forever to post their books up (normally up to six weeks), and since it was only about three weeks ago that I authorized Lulu to send it to Amazon, then chances are that it isn't going to be posted. 


It is. Posted up with millions of other books hosted by that web site. A tiny little fish in the hugest of oceans. Engage your head with worrying about whether it is ever going to be seen by anyone, and you will get depressed and possibly give up with writing. So what you have to do is get busy with other projects to keep you moving forward. This I am trying to do. Then the brick wall effect hit me. 


How do I feel about seeing PV up on Amazon? First of all, surprised that it had been posted so fast. Second, that the cover is not quite right, but something inside me is telling me that it is a temporary cover anyway, so not to worry. At least it looks original and not mass produced. Thirdly, that I am pleased that people can get inside the book and have a look at a sample of content. Not being able to do so would prevent me from purchasing a book, and I don't want anyone to buy the book without first seeing if it is something they are comfortable with reading.


And I have the tiniest bit of nervous anticipation, like butterflies, in my tum. Crikey! I have made a book from start to finish and got it out to Amazon. I have a smile on my face as I write this. I am not thinking about the money I may or may not earn. After all, if one did focus on the money side then the writing would not be so good. Oh I could have written something which was more 'popular', but then I would have been prostituting my work because it would have lost its passion. Been soulless. It would not have made an impact on the reader, not lit a spark, not made a difference. 


As in all times previously, when brick walls appear, something happens to disintegrate that wall. Inside of me I have a warmness that PV is Amazonned. Now all I have to do is research what the next step is....... will let you know how I get on with that, just in case you are hovering on the brink of that step into the big wide world of Amazon!


10 minutes later: Helful Hint: One of the things you don't need to do is go have a look to see where your actual placement is in the listings for your genre. Seeing how many other books are listed is likely to whoosh the wind out your sails! In your mind focus on your own book. Never mind about the others. Focus on the fact that the right person will find you. Send out positive thoughts to your book. It is, after all, your offspring. You created it. Now off into the world it is going to go, to do whatever it needs to do. Focus on that. Because if you don't, then despondency will set in and up a wall will go infront of you. 


It is the doing which is important, the personal achievement.









2 comments:

  1. Oh well done Vera - you've achieved something that most people just think about. You have sat down - for long periods of time - and let your creative mind develop this baby into becoming a published book.

    You should be rightly proud of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks FF. Yes I am 'proud' but not in an egostical way. Rather, I am 'proudly amazed' that I ever managed to stay with the project!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by, and I would love you leave me a message.