Friday 15 January 2010

ebooks?

Next step in the self publishing saga. Can't rest on my posterior now. Need to keep pushing forward. There is no publishing house taking doing this for me, taking the marketing, etc, off my shoulders. Trouble is that I am not a person who can 'sing my own song'. What I mean is, that I find it difficult to sell myself. But then I am not actually selling me, am I! I am staying in faith with a book I have written and formatted the best I can, although it will still have a 'home grown' look because it is a cottage industry book. 


So: ebook time. Inspired by Hubs who is a Tech guy, and enthuses endlessly about what ebook reader he is going to purchase when the roofs of our house are paid for. (Snippets, my other blog, for more info about roofs: payment for!) 



Onto Lulu again: Publish button clicked onto: Email section entered. Since book already loaded onto Lulu, files should be available. Then I got stuck. Couldn't find a button which said 'Next>>>>>' So thought I would write to you instead!


But did find out some good info about Kindle, Amazon's ebook service, and Lulu's ebook service. Even though Lulu 'owns' the ISBN of Psychic Virgin because France doesn't have a 'Buy your own ISBN' service and I can't have a UK bought one because I don't live in the UK anymore, it does not make any difference to publishing an ebook with any other service provider. Kindle and Lulu are also marketing houses, so it makes sense to convert Psychic Virgin into ebook formats with both companies. 


Now all I have to do is fiddle about with the Lulu ebook process, then do some more fiddling about with the Kindle ebook process, then I am done!


And all I wanted to do was write a book to inspire others to follow their own star!


Thankyou www.ifunbusiness.com for imparting some of the info above.

4 comments:

  1. The eBook development is a great thing to see happening. I was on the forefront of desktop publishing and self-publishing back in the 1980's and 1990's including publishing a number of books myself and a magazine which covered the topic (Flash Magazine) for ten years. It was a lot of fun while it lasted. Paper magazines are on the decline and have actually been hurting for quite a while. I got out of it when I saw the curve going down and our farming had picked up enough to take over. An interesting transition from technology to dirt. :)

    Have fun with your eBook and publishing and do get that roof.

    Cheers,

    -Walter
    in Vermont
    USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Walter, it would seem that we are going in the reverse direction to you in some ways! I am learning to self publish plus learning to run a smallholding, while you walked away from the publishing industry to run your farm. Mind you, it is really Hubs who is running the smallholding. I am just a general helper! Hope you and your family are well....

    ReplyDelete
  3. We share a common interest in roofing. Mind you I'd rather be writing or reading or taking photos.
    Your ongoing story of self publishing is keeping me interested in that as a future possibility.
    I do have a book published in my name actually: "Challenging the Centre" published by Playlab Press here in Bribane. It's an account of three theatre companies in Queensland during the 70s and 80s and into the 90s who all worked in political or community theatre. Playlab asked my permission to make it available on-line as an eBook recently. I've been too slack to respond. Maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve, I would gleefully accept anyone who offered to do anything with my books, so think that the eBook way is the right thing to do in regards to your already published book. For a start, it makes the purchase of the book much cheaper for a reader, which should make the book all the more sellable for the writer. Go for it, Steve.
    As for self publishing: I am not going to say it is easy. Not only does one have to write the book which is a task in itself, but the formatting, cover design, editing, etc, is another almighty task. But once one has learnt what to do, then subsequent books come easier.
    Marketing is a possible problem, which I haven't solved as yet, and will blog about it when I found out what to do myself.
    As for eBooks? Best thing that has happened for writers, as well as the opportunity to self publish.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by, and I would love you leave me a message.